Sunday, September 27, 2009

Striving to Be Holy Or (Will I Ever Get Where I Want to Be?)

Striving to Be Holy Or (Will I Ever Get Where I Want to Be?)

"Day and night they never stop saying: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." Revelations 4:8

My main goal in this life is to cultivate my relationship with Christ. To let Him bring growth and maturity and discipline. To became a man and disciple after His own heart. And to truly become holy by becoming wholly His. My main problem is that I struggle with becoming holy as He is holy. I struggle with becoming wholly His, submitting myself fully to Him. I strive to become holy, but at the same time I don't read the Word as I should, I don't pray that often, and I tend to wonder off on my own at times. I ignore the very things that I value. My options for solving my problem of never attaining what I want more than anything are getting someone who could mentor me, someone who lives a life of holiness. I could also find someone who also strives to be holy. Romans 12:1 encourages "to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy, and pleasing to God..." There are many references in the Bible to God's holiness which serve as an example for me to follow. The best way to gather more information about being holy is to read the Bible verse that refer to God's holiness and how men should strive to be holy. I could also read books about holiness. My solution is found in a song by David Crowder*Band called Wholly Yours, which is my favorite song in the whole world and you will see it on my Who Am I paper. The song goes like this: "I am full of earth. You are heaven's worth. I am stained with dirt, prone to depravity. You are everything that is bright and clean, the antonym of me. You are divinity. But a certain sign of grace is this: From the broken earth flowers come up pushing through the dirt. You are holy, holy, holy. All heaven cries, "Holy, holy God." You are holy, holy, holy. I wanna be holy like You are. You are everything that is bright and clean. And You're covering me with Your majesty. And the truest sign of grace was this: from wounded hands redemption fell down, liberating man. But the harder I try the more clearly can I feel the depth of our fall and the weight of it all. And so this might could be the most impossible thing: Your grandness in me making me clean. Glory, hallelujah. Glory, glory, hallelujah. So here I am, all of me. Finally everything. Wholly, wholly, wholly– I am wholly, wholly, wholly– I am wholly, wholly, wholly... Yours. I am full of earth and dirt and You." That song says it all for me. Crowder elaborates by saying, "The paradox of holiness: to desire its attainment yet be deficient in our capability of achieving it. This is our state. The resolution to this impasse is as subtle as the linguistic turn employed in the song. Holiness is only attainable through the capitulation of our whole selves. Through the redemption and rescue of Christ we become covered by His sacrifice and presented before God without blame. At times we may sound the same but to look at us you see nothing but Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment